Contact this organisation
Youth Action for Community Development and Peace (Action des jeunes pour le Développement Communautaire et la Paix — ADECOP) is an independent youth education and engagement non-profit that seeks to contribute to lasting peace in war-prone societies through building cohesive and resilient communities. ADECOP focues on Gamo and Masisi in the DR Congo.
Founded in 2002 by Guelord Mbaenda with a group of children victims of war who were then living in two displaced communities in Masisi, ADECOP encourages young people and vulnerable social minorities to take an active role in laying the foundations for lasting peace in their communities by:
- increasing awareness and understanding of the meaning of community organizing for peace, democracy and development
- strengthening organizing and advocacy skills among local youth constituencies and other community actors
- supporting local actions that address the issues facing young people and their communities
- the spaces and channels for youth engagement in public life along other actors, both local and external, and
- advancing knowledge and informing policymaking in the areas of youth, peacebuilding and community-building action.
ADECOP envisions a cohesive and inclusive society, in which everyone feels safe and confident to engage individually or with others towards better, productive and sustainable social life.
ADECOP is a member of the United Network of Young Peacebuilders (UNOY).
Last updated: January 2011