Contact this organisation
FOMI analyses the situation of women in Ituri, undertakes action in support of women’s rights and is a pressure group to denounce acts of violence against women. It has initiated actions which support both women and their children. In sum, FOMI wants to see the building of a society in which women are united, educated, respected, and participate in meeting the needs of their households.
Its mission is:
- To support actions for the pacification of Ituri, which are led both by women and for women.
- To support the promotion of the gendered approach and the respect of human rights.
- To support the promotion of women’s organisations in Ituri.
- The coordination and development of 36 women’s organisations in Bunia and 5 territorial networks of women’s organisations.
- Training of over 200 women from 90 organisations in conflict prevention, management and resolution.
- Support and socioeconomic reinsertion of over 1,850 victims of sexual violence and 263 ex-combatants, through income-generating activities. Help given to more than 2,500 returnee families in the form of community reinsertion kits.
- Creation of ‘motor units’ on the community-level (for men and women) to increase capacity for sensitisation on peaceful co-habitation and inter-community mediation.
- Creation of 162 small 'Mothers for Peace' groups in the 5 territories.
- Holding the authorities to account in relation to insecurity and human rights abuses (military, administrative and sexual violence abuses).
- Promotion of human and women’s rights, responsible citizenship and the emergence of female leadership at the community level.
Last updated: September 2010