Contact this organisation
Association “Imedi” IDP Women's Movement for Peace works to promote women's participation in conflict resolution and peacebuilding processes, as well as the psycho-social and economic rehabilitation of internally displaced persons. It was founded in 1999 in Zugdid by individuals displaced from Abkhazia.
The main target groups of the organisation are: IDP women and young girls living in collective centres; female-representatives of Georgian-Abkhaz mixed families; members of Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti Women’s Network; IDP and local women leaders; and young people and women living in both sides of conflict zone, including Gali, Abkhazia.
Main areas of activity include: informal education for youth and women; peace building; advocacy for the problems of IDPs; psycho-social programme of IDPs; women’s rights and gender equality; informal education of women and youth.
In the course of its existence, the organisation has implemented 35 projects in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region. These include:
- Forums, conferences, trainings, seminars, round table discussions, debates, information meetings;
- Free legal, psychological and reproductive health consultations for women and young girls;
- Empowerment of IDP and women in public and political life and strengthening their role in peacebuilding process;
- Promotion of gender equality and eradication of domestic violence;
- Organising public discussions on current affairs in Abkhazia as well as the prospects for conflict resolution;
- Participation in peacebuilding meetings involving Georgian-Abkhaz women and/or women from other Caucasus countries/territories (Dubrovnik, Sochi, Riga, Istanbul, Kiev, Stockholm);
- Youth camps for local and IDP children;
- Summer schools for IDP women; and
- Activities aimed at increasing IT literacy among local and IDP women.
The organisation's main funder is the Swedish peacebuilding organisation Kvinnna Till Kvinna.
Last updated: December 2015