Dakata Community Development Association was founded eight years ago by vibrant and concern residents of Dakata community - a suburb in Kano. Since then the organisation has been engaged in several community services ranging from peace and educational, health, empowerment and public enlightenment.
Dakata has been for a long time a community that encompasses diverse Nigerian tribes who are equally having different faiths. Therefore, the founding members of this organisation decided to call for the attention of concern community members for the need to established a Community Based Organisation that can always serve as a means for keeping peace amongst these different tribes. Thus, other aims and objectives include:
- Creating public awareness
- Assist to or provide jobs to members of the community
- To help to unite and ensure peaceful co-existence among the members of our community.
- Organise extra-mural lessons to enhance learning activities
- Assist to or provide health facilities in the hospitals within the community.
- Work hand in hand with the security agencies and stakeholders including: traditional rulers; imams and pastors; and youth organisations
Like rightly mentioned above, the security agencies, traditional rulers, religious leaders and other relevant stakeholders are those we work together to enhance peaceful coexistence. And a very exemplary role we played and of recent was when some members of the community wanted to engage into violence demonstration on the issue of the need to close down a particular church in the community.
We have worked successfully with a local partners called Center for Information Technology And Development (CITAD) and Human Rights Network (HRN).