The Instituto de Enseñanza para el Desarrollo Sostenible (Institute of Education for Sustainable Development, IEPADES was founded in 1991 with the aim of contributing to a democratic, inclusive and participative state.
Further to working on the peace accords, IEPADES began working on security, defence and justice. It has a specific human secutity programme which supports citizen security, the role of women, strengthening the local power and sustainable development.
IEPADES works to promote a culture of peace based on promoting development and entrepreneurship for women in poverty, supporting training for young people, and supporting conflict prevention and development work. It conducts research, education programmes, public campaigns and influencing activities.
- Supporting the creation of a national unit against arms trafficking;
- Creating training courses and other resources for the National Police and other ministries;
- Supporting reform of the law on arms and munitions;
- Strengthening databases and information systems on security and justice;
- Increasing the levels of citizen participation in violence prevention; and
- Developing conflict prevention training for education centres
Annually, IEPADES supports:
- 30,000 children
- 5000 young people
- 500 teachers
- 2000 police officers
- 400 attorneys
- 200 judges
- More than 1000 women
- More than 100 neighbourhood and community leaders