The Peace Unity Services Advocates for Knowledge Advancement (PUSAKA) is a non-governmental and service oriented organisation which carries out a wide range of development activities anchored in education as a tool for advocacy towards attaining sustainable peace and development. It was founded in 2005 out of the efforts of young Muslim educators whose ideas and aspirations are dedicated to the future of the Mindanaons.
The word PUSAKA is a Muslim Filipino term meaning 'antique'. The name itself describes its mission for existence which is the development of humanity, identity, and natural resources of the Mindanaons through knowledge advancement and the revival of the unique culture and tradition in the area.
PUSAKA envisions a Mindanao living in peace and harmony regardless of faith and cultural differences. PUSAKA actively advocates for sustainable peace and development to improve community participation, the equitable distribution of resources, critical empowerment, and ecological orientation. PUSAKA's mission is to be an agent in developing the devastated areas in Mindanao.
It carries out development activities involving community organising, technology, education both in formal and non-formal activities, and training. It was established out of the need to respond and find lasting solutions to the problems of poverty and injustice, reducing community vulnerability to disasters both man-made and natural, and to assist communities in recovery from disaster and emergencies in ways that sustain both lives and livelihood of the people.
PUSAKA works to:
- Educate children and youth with a balanced education, including both secular and Islamic education through its school Noorul Eilm Academy.
- Strengthen capacities of local residents on electoral reform through conduct and voter education.
- Serve as a catalyst for appropriate development through holding relevant seminars, workshops, dialogues, trainings, forums, field demonstrations, broadcasts and print media sessions.
- Share and translate a message of just peace and wholesome development.
- Implement appropriate social, economic, political and cultural activities and practices.