Rural Women Peace Link (RWPL) has worked since 1992 to promote an inclusive society in Kenya, which values peace and in which the contributions of women matter. Its mission is to mobilise, influence and promote the participation of local women in peacebuilding, community governance and development.
Peacebuilding and conflict mitigation:
RWPL recognizes the role of women in peacebuilding and support activities through:
- Community dialogues and mediation;
- Peace advocacy and public awareness campaigns;
- Psycho-social support and trauma counseling for survivors of conflicts;
- Advocating for women’s representation/ inclusion in peace and security committees;
- Supporting networking and linkages among the groups and other actors through cross cultural;
- Exchange programs (Grassroots, National, Regional to International networks);
- Promoting awareness and education on relevant national and international policy Instruments and statutes relating to women e.g. the Bill of Rights, UNSCR 1325.
Education support and mentorship:
RWPL facilitates a mentorship and girls’ education programme by supporting and encouraging beneficiaries, mostly promising girls that are identified from vulnerable backgrounds, to take up opportunities offered through formal education in schools and colleges. Mentees are also taken through internship training programmes that prepare them to take up roles in formal employment and leadership.
A number of beneficiaries have been rescued from early or forced marriages, FGM and other violations, and continue to receive support in various schools and institutions of higher learning.
Leadership and governance:
Our activities entail enhancing women’s participation in decision making and electoral processes, from grassroots to national level. These include among others:
- Capacity building for women on accountable leadership that is sensitive to their needs and responsibilities;
- Mentoring, coaching and role modeling women in leadership;
- Creating awareness on women’s rights advocacy;
- Supporting women to monitor the implementation of Kenya’s constitution;
- Engaging women to participate actively on decision making in County Governments
Women’s economic empowerment programme
Focusing on female survivors of conflict and gender-based violence, this programme aims to promote sustainable livelihood management. RWPL endeavours to:
- Offer life skills and entrepreneurship training that builds the capacity of women and girls to identify viable and sustainable economic ventures and income generating activities;
- Provide seed grant to facilitate start-up activities;
- Help link women financial institutions, partners and donors; and
- Enhance rural women’s participation in decision making positions and electoral processes
Human rights advocacy
RWPL works in partnership and collaboration with various stakeholders and rural women to advance recognition and appreciation of women’s human rights in the communities against socio-cultural restrictions and negative perceptions by:
- Facilitating grassroots women to access and make use of relevant policy Instruments that enhances their roles and participation eg UNSCR 1820, 1888 and 1889 and the protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa, CEDAW and MDG Goals, among others;
- Advocating for the implementation of policies that promotes women’s rights;
- Advocating specifically against all forms of gender based violence (GBV) in society;
- Sensitizing communities on women’s reproductive health rights and bodily integrity; and
- Documenting and creating awareness on sexual violation against women in conflict situations through evidence based advocacy.