In 2012 Watan Syria began operating as a framework for various organisations and groups, some of which had started operations as early as 2006. Watan is a system made up of multi-directed civil society organisations, working on creating a general renaissance in the Syrian society. It is a coalition of several organisations: SYAN, Generation Freedom, Khayr, the Centre for Syrian Freedoms, the Syrian Centre for Research and Studies, the Syrian Business Club, the Syrian National Media Centre.
- To train and develop individuals so they can play an active role in Syria’s progress.
- To influence the political process in order to direct it towards serving the country and its citizens.
- To ensure that human rights are upheld and that citizens play an active role in society.
- To promote the concept of civil society institutions in Syria.
Description of activities
- Areas of specialisation are relief, health, education, capacity building.
- Watan tries to support Syrian society by providing services that promote its progress and development; to work in every governorate in Syria, and wherever Syrian communities exist, to establish branches for all the institutions of Watan.
- It works by establishing developmental projects that are within Watan's realm of expertise, which it thinks Syrians will need after the end of the conflict.
- About 90% of its work is in areas outside government controlled areas in Syria.