Association Femmes et Citoyenneté (Women and Citizenship Association, AFC) was founded in Le Kef, in the north-west of Tunisia, in 2011. The all-women staff of 13 is supported by 60 members and many young male and female volunteers, with budget support from membership, donations and grants. AFC is working to build on and expand its range of partnerships with other organisations and MENA and EU countries.
AFC works to fight for women's rights and promote civic values, convinced that Tunisia cannot be a just or democratic society without the recognition of women's full citizenship, their economic, social and cultural rights and their contribution to Tunisian development.
Projects and activities:
- Young women in leadership development: capacity building programme, targeting 100 girls aged 18 to 25. This programme aims to encourage the participation of young women in public life and community work.
- "Implementation due to successful history of changes in Tunisia: public dialogue and civic consciousness" in partnership with Partners for Democratic Change Slovakia (PDCS).
- Support for social and economic integration of single mothers in partnership with ACT.
- Breast cancer and cervix screening campaigns in rural and suburban areas.
- Prevention of gender-based violence and support for women victims of violence in the north-west of Tunisia in partnership with the National Office for Family and Population and CIDEAL.
- Project "Rural women Kef: Realities and Challenges" with AFTURD.
AFC's main partners are:
CIDEAL (Spain) ACT (Scotland) PDCS (Slovakia) CEFA (Italy) AFTURD (Tunisia) ATIDE (Tunisia) HORIZONS (Tunisia) Regards Childhood (Tunisia) INSAF (Tunisia) Youth Without Borders (Tunisia) ONFP (Tunisia)
Follow AFC on facebook.