The Centre for Peace Advancement in Nigeria (CEPAN) works to create peaceful communities in Nigeria by promoting peacebuilding and development through dialogue, conciliation services, training, research and disseminating accurate and reliable information on peace and development.
The goals of the organisation include:
- Strengthening local capacities for sustainable peace and development in communities.
- The promotion of peaceful coexistence and harmony among people of diverse ethnic and religious affiliations in communities.
- Promoting peace education among children and young people in school and out of school.
- Empowerment of women and youth for effective negotiation, dialogue and mediation.
- Producing research and documentation.
- Reducing poverty through the promotion of good governance.
- Establishment of peace clubs in 17 secondary schools across Plateau State.
- Establishment of 9 community peace teams in 9 local government areas in Plateau State.
- Training of over 2,000 people in peacebuilding, conflict analysis and mediation.
- Hosting strong networks of peacebuilding organisations such as the West Africa Network for Peacebuilding and the Plateau Peace Practitioners Network.
- Collaboration and partnership with the Plateau State Government and other national and international organizations and institutions.