The Council of Religious Institutions of the Holy Land works to promote respect for the life and dignity of all human beings, regardless of religion, nationality or gender.
The Council of Religious Institutions of the Holy Land works to promote respect for the life and dignity of all human beings, regardless of religion, nationality or gender. It is committed to advancing this goal, to prevent religion from being used as a source of conflict, and to promote mutual respect, reconciliation and a comprehensive peace between people of all faiths in the Holy Land and worldwide. The Council has 5 specific objectives:
- To maintain a permanent relationship and open channels of communication between the institutional religious leadership of the Holy Land.
- To sustain a close working relationship with the Government of Israel and the Palestinian National Authority, in order to encourage their efforts in bringing a just and peaceful resolution to the conflict to the Holy Land.
- To promote an environment of mutual acceptance and respect between Palestinians and Israelis, in particular between the respective faith communities, through dialogue, education and media.
- To promote respect for the holy sites of all faith communities, and to counteract any expression of disrespect, desecration or abuse of holy sites, particularly when they are exploited for violent and hostile purposes.
- To engage with religious leaders internationally and particularly in the Middle East in pursuit of an enduring peace in the Holy Land.