The NGO Development for a Better Being (DEMI-E) was created in 1998 by rural engineers. DEMI-E is committed to developing and disseminating sustainable development practices in the areas of WASH, agriculture, energy, good governance, emergencies and climate change, and advocates for policy changes at the national and international levels.
The organisation is closely involved in the implementation of the National Pastoral Hydrology Strategy. In addition, the organisation is represented on regional and international climate change platforms, such as Climate Action Network West Africa, the Pan-African Climate Justice Alliance and FRANCLIMAT.
In the field of peacebuilding, DEMI-E is involved in two specific programs:
- Conflict transformation and crisis prevention in the field of trans-boundary transhumance in Niger, Benin and Burkina Faso.
- Strengthening of land governance to better prevent rural land disputes (PAPS-High Authority for Peace).
The objectives of its two programs are to contribute to the prevention of rural land conflicts and the improvement of governance in the Tillabéry region. About 200 people were affected by the communal consultations.
DEMIE-E strives to:
- Prevent conflicts over the use of natural resources
- Strengthen the capacity of the structures in charge of rural management and conflict prevention
- Building the capacity of women and youth leaders on human rights.