DESERET Women Sierra Leone is women-led organisation that is non-political, non-discriminatory, and non-governmental. It works to address issues affecting the lives and development of women and children in Sierra Leoneon communities. It was formed in 2004 by women in Sierra Leone, as a response to the eleven years of civil conflict which brought untold sufferings to the people of the country, particularly women and children. There terrible pains necessitated prompt and adequate response to salvage the situation.
In order to champion the cause of women and children it was resolved at a meeting that an organisation be formed and be called DESERET Women. The focus of the organisation is to adopt measures that will ensure the improvement in the socio-economic status of women in their various communities as well as giving the right care and direction to children so that they can become good citizens. In pursuit of this objective, DESERET Women desires to delve into the root causes of poverty and backwardness of women in society with a view to alleviating the situation.
They work through community sensitisation, resource mobilisation and advocacy for which the support of partners in development is crucial. DESERET Women is seeking support from organisations (local and international) in order to collaborate with a view to adopting measures that will positively contribute to the improvement in the livelihoods of women and children in rural communities.
Its mission is to seek access to education, health, and sustainable livelihoods for women and children. Its vision is to restore the dignity of women and children by building a violence free atmosphere conducive to sustainability and self-reliance.
DESERET Women is engaged in the following activities;
- Agriculture: food crop production, processing and marketing as well as vegetable production and inland valley swamp rehabilitation.
- Health: advocacy, training and monitoring on maternal health and child healthcare, as well as water sanitation and hygiene.
- HIV/AIDS: providing counselling and testing.
- Gender: advocacy, training and education as well as child protection and enhancing human rights for women.
- Education: advocacy for school materials for children. The organisation liaises with institutions for the provision of educational and financial support to children.
- Elections: conflict prevention and mitigation.
- Good governance: promoting transparency, accountability and democracy.
- West African Peacebuilding Network (WANEP)
- Health Alert Sierra Leone
- Democracy Sierra Leone
- Bombali Human Rights Committee
- National Election Watch (NEW)