The Jeannette Rankin Peace Center exists to connect and empower people to build a socially just, non-violent and sustainable community and world.
We are committed to a process of reflection, dialogue and action, both in times of crisis and in the ongoing work of peacemaking.
We believe that informed, engaged citizens are the foundation of both democracy and peace, and aim our efforts at supporting both.
In addition to being responsive to the community’s immediate needs, there are several ongoing activities and programs of the Jeannette Rankin Peace Center, including:
- A resource lending library with a collection of over 2,000 books, video and audio tapes on issues of diversity, conflict resolution, social justice, building sustainable communities, and much more.
- A thriving Fair Trade Store – a unique marketplace and educational resource that is a source of viable support of our global neighbors for whom fair trade means a just, dignified and environmentally sustainable alternative to the widespread exploitative effects of global free trade.
- A multi-faceted public education/media campaign aimed at revitalizing the public discourse essential to an informed electorate. This is accomplished through community forums, message advertising in the local newspapers and on the radio, letter-writing campaigns, and in other ways.
- An Arts Activism program that provides innovative opportunities for the community to engage in hands-on social activism through the arts.
- A free weekly e-newsletter distributed to several hundred subscribers listing upcoming peace, justice, and sustainability events as well as action alerts, other announcements, and links to compelling articles in the alternative and mainstream press.
- This interactive website, visited by thousands per month.
- Underwriting of the local daily airing of the syndicated cable network Free Speech TV which includes programs such as the award-winning “Democracy Now.”
- A weekly peace and justice film series during the academic year on the University of Montana campus.
- Fiduciary support services for fledgling non-profits whose missions are aligned with our own.