Ladies in development - LID is a community development organisation that strives to empower young girls, women and their communities through advocacy and awareness raising programmes. It has been running since 2008.
LID works in partnership with state and non-state actors to advocate for the empowerment of young girls at all levels in the areas of educational mainstreaming, inclusive governance and participatory developmental interventions.
There is a the need to know the nature of related violations in schools in Moyamba and the trends it has taken over time. It is important to see how abuses and violations are disrupting peaceful co-existence among girls and women and the types of effects that have emanated from the violations and abuses. It is also necessary to see the differences and similarities between the violations and abuses that took place during previous years and those that occur now.
Gaining a good knowledge on occurring violations and abuses will put LID and other stakeholders in a better position to discourage human rights violations and abuses and set up mechanisms to enhance the future of girls and women.
- Setting up a network of children to serve as media advocates.
- Training of communities at chiefdom level on conflict prevention.
- Consultative forum meetings.
- Worked with Plan International and the family support system in Moyamba to carry out a mass scale campaign to sensitise on the implications of right violations and conflict.
- During the Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone, LID received funding from the Ministry of Social Welfare and Plan International to train and advocate on Ebola stigmatisation and registration of survivors in the district.
- LID carried out sensitisation programmes in various schools on accepting Ebola survivors.