The Organization for Peace, Relief and Development (OPRD) works towards eradicating poverty and reducing social challenges in South Sudan. OPRD aims to achieve this through the implementation of peace and conflict mitigation programmes, capacity building programmes, infrastructure rehabilitation, and community development projects.
A large part of the organisation's work is in the area of conflict mitigation. To this end, the OPRD is involved in activities including:
- Conflict mitigation, restitution, justice and reconciliation.
- Strengthening customary laws.
- Facilitating the work of civil authorities in managing conflicts.
- Human rights education and victim support.
- Helping work with and reform cattle rustlers.
- Programmes fighting gender based violence.
- Civic education and community dialogue and empowerment.
OPRD mobilises and empowers pastoralist communities to enable them to develop their potential to contribute towards poverty reduction efforts and improving their livelihoods through initiating self-reliance initiatives, capacity-building programmes, and other educational work.
OPRD assists Internally Displaced Persons, returnees and refugees who are relocating to their original homes after time spent abroad because of the conflict at home. OPRD also specialises in resource mobilisation to facilitate community empowerment, so that returnees can actively participate in developmental, educational and health work.