Smile Education and Development Foundation (SEDF) is a Burmese organisation dedicated to eliminating poverty and unjust living conditions, and to developing responsible and productive citizens. SEDF uses education as a catalyst for lasting change, serving young people, women, and community leaders by promoting critical thinking, dialogue, and skill building. Additionally, it aims to ensure that civil society organisations are equipped with the necessary resources and support to be effective change-makers.
- To support sustainable peacebuilding in Myanmar and combat discrimination based on sex, gender, religion, and ethnicity in order to resolve violent conflict and acts of hate.
- To assist in transforming civil society organisations of Myanmar to become efficient organisations in order to build sustainable development.
- To promote gender equality and empower women in a cultural, political, economic, religious, and environmental context.
- To improve grassroots democracy and human rights, and provide citizens with the capacity to understand and act upon their rights and responsibilities as citizens of Myanmar.
- To equip young people with the power and skills to serve as effective and positive social change-makers in their communities.
- SEDF’s alumni network of both workshop and training participants and staff, now numbers over 3,000.
- In 2013, SEDF was recognised by the Myanmar government as a registered NGO (much more of an achievement than many would anticipate).
- All of SEDF’s workshops recruit from a diverse background of participants, ranging from all of Myanmar’s ethnic and religious groups.