WISCOD was founded in 2004 to transform the violent conflict that hampered Jos, Nigeria and the surrounding area.
The Women Initiative for Sustainable Community Development (WISCOD) is a non – governmental community based organization. It is non-political, non – tribal and non-profit in nature which was founded in 2004 to transform the violent conflict that hampered Jos and its environs
MISSION: uplifting the standard life of communities
VISION: to exploit under developed human and material resources to improve and enhance community potentials.
The organization aims at creating enabling environment for communities to strive for available resources within their reach to enhance the development of their community. The organization work with target communities in the following areas:-
A.Conflict transformation and peace building
- Foster unity and encourage peaceful co-existence in conflict prone communities.
- Women participation in peace and security in line with the UNSCR 1325
- Establishment of peace clubs for the inclusion and participation of children and young people in, gender equality, peace building and child rights promotion.
- Provide space for women with special needs (people with disabilities, victims of gender based violence and other forms of violence to interact and proffer solutions to their problems.
- Interfaith mediation across divided communities
- Trust and Confidence building amongst at intra/inter group space
- Trauma counselling and healing to IDPs and target groups in need.
- Building the capacity of teenage girls on life skills and gender based violence
- Trust and confidence building across conflicting communities
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene to prevent tropical disease in local communities.
B.Education and literacy programmes for identified disadvantage groups.
C.Women and youth empowerment, and skill acquisition livelihood programme to enable target communities realized, make use and sustain development of self and community at large.
D.REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH, NUTRITION AND HIV/AIDS
- Education and making awareness Home base life saving skills
- Infant/mother nutrition, exclusive breast feeding and family nutrition package
- Capacity building to peers to serve as peer educators in their communities, work with Islamic teachers and their students in the area of prevention and education HIV/AIDS
- Teenage girls peer education programme on STIs, HIV/AIDS, Personal hygiene and puberty.
- Work with Traditional birth attendants to reduce maternal and infant mortality/morbidity rate
- Capacity building for SAFE EMERGENCY DELIVERY CARE in the area of prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV/AIDS and reduce maternal mortality.
- Runs voluntary confidential counselling and testing of HIV/AIDS.
- Runs home and community based care to the infected and affected by HIV/AIDS
- Capacity building and behavioural change for female sex workers in the area of HIV/AIDS and empowerment skills
WHO HAS SUPPORTED US?
- Mennonite central committee(MCC)
- Pamela and Sally Foundation
- Nigeria stability and reconciliation Programme (NSRP)
- DFID through Society for Family Health (SFH)
- Nigeria US Embassy(Ambassador’s grant)
- Individuals (in kind and cash)