A monthly selection of the best new research and resources on local peacebuilding worldwide, as chosen by Insight on Conflict. To receive the email newsletter each month, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DR Congo: Support Community-based Tools for MONUSCO
In this report Refugees International discusses how the UN mission in DR Congo (MONUSCO) to involve communities in the protection of civilians. The report provides recommendations as to how this work can be best supported.
Justice compromised: the legacy of Rwanda’s community-based 'gacaca' courts
Faced with the enormous task of bringing those responsible for the Rwandan genocide to justice, the Rwanda government turned to community-based courts – ‘gacaca’ - in an effort to ensure speedy process with the inclusion of the community. As the process comes to an end, this report from Human Rights Watch assesses how well the process has worked. They find serious shortcomings, raising concerns that the gacaca have led to miscarriages of justice and unevenness application of the law.
Talking to groups that use terror
The latest in the 'Peacemaker's Toolkit' series from USIP looks at talking with groups involved in terrorist activities. The handbook aims to provide mediators with practical information and advice on topics such as which kinds of groups are worth engaging with, opening channels of communication, and facilitating negotiations.
Women in religious peacebuilding
'Women in religious peacebuilding (pdf)' examines the role women in building peace from within religious communities. The report argues that much of the work of women in this area is ignored, denying a potentially powerful tool for building peace.
Afghanistan Transition: The Death of Bin Laden and Local Dynamics
Through a series of recent surveys conducted around Afghanistan, this report (pdf) looks at the opinions and perceptions of Afghan men on issues surrounding the transition after the death of Osama bin Laden.
From the blog
- Jennifer Lentfer from How Matters writes on the importance of local organisations in Zimbabwe Read more >>>
- An eye-witness report from Côte d'Ivoire: "We sat on the floor in terror, as they banged and banged repeatedly on our gate, shots and mortars exploding nearby." Read more >>>
- Fiona Lloyd-Davies writes of her experience creating "The Peacebuilder", a play performed at the launch of Peace Direct in the USA. Part 1 and part 2.
- Sudan Sudanese peacebuilder Hope Chichaya assesses the many challenges that will face the new nation of South Sudan. Read more >>>
- Peacebuilding in an interconnected world by Sarah Jefferson Read more >>>
- Mirjana Kosic from TransConflict interviews the Director of Youth Resource Center (YRC), a local peacebuilding organisation in Tuzla, Bosnia-Herzegovina. Read more >>>
- Stephen Oola looks at the motivations behind Uganda's 'Work to Work' protests Read more >>>
- Local peacebuilder Gulalai Ismail discusses what Osama bin Laden's death means for peacebuilding in Pakistan Read more >>>
- Priya Parker talks about her motivations for discarding her skill-building curriculum during a dialogue workshop for reconciliation efforts in Gujarat, India. Read more >>>
- Rt Hon George Howarth MP shares his experiences as part of the Northern Ireland peace process Read more >>>