Agong Peace Network, Inc. is a formation of more than thirty-two grassroots-based peace organisations and various peace advocates dedicated to the attainment of a culture of peace in Mindanao.
Agong Peace Network, Inc. is a formation of more than 32 grassroots-based peace organisations and various peace advocates dedicated to the attainment of a culture of peace in Mindanao. It represents Southern, Western, Northern and Central Mindanao.
The Agong Network was first known as the Mindanao Peace and Reconciliation Group. Then numbering only eight organisations, the group was established after a training on the culture of peace in Cagayan de Oro City in 1997. Subsequently, at its third meeting in Lake Sebu, the group's name was changed to Agong to reflect the Mindanao character of the group.
The agong is a brass percussion instrument commonly used by the indigenous peoples of Mindanao. In ancient days, the agong was used to gather the members of the clan or tribe for meetings and festivities. In times of distress and emergency, its ringing would call in the people.
As community-based peace educators, the members of Agong envision a Mindanao where the tri-people live and enjoy growth and equity; respect for human rights, self-determination, religious freedom, justice and protection of the life-giving environment.
It is committed to promoting a culture of peace, strategies of non-violence, and dialogue to foster communities in which the tri-people can live together peacefully and harmoniously under the guidance of the one Almighty.
- To strengthen interrelationships, solidarity and cooperation among tri-people in Mindanao towards peacebuilding.
- To enhance and establish sustainable mechanisms for people's participation in peace and development processes.
- To develop and provide literature and other related educational materials for Agong members and other peace groups.
- To undertake a continuing peace education and training.
- To facilitate the promotion of a culture of peace in the respective communities.