The Association Vie et Développement (Life and Development Association, AVD) is a community development association working on the environment, water, health, education, and conflict resolution issues.
AVD Kowa Murna works on:
- Raising awareness of and support for rural communities.
- Project design and implementation, mainly in development, and aimed at reducing poverty in disadvantaged areas.
- Contributing to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
To this aim, AVD has the following objectives:
- To bring together efforts for the development of the population in disadvantaged areas.
- To contribute to poverty reduction through the promotion of basic social services (water, education, health, environment, food).
- To engage communities to be aware of their issues and their ability to find solutions.
- To promote and advocate for the integration of gender approaches in all development activities.
Since being recognised in 2002, AVD has executed several projects and submitted others to partners. They have worked on land reclamation (in Halbaoua and Birnin Lallé, in Dakoira, Maradi region), through two projects on persistent organic pollutants (in Djiratawa, Maradi region and in Calmi, Tahoua region), through three projects on urban waste management (Niamey), awareness projects on STIs and HIV/AIDS, and on providing support to local development projects including the distribution of food and cereal banks (in the Maradi region).
AVD has always supported and been present with farmers as well, and helped them to conduct rural development activities in the agro-forestry-pastoral sector, by providing support, counseling and mentoring to smallholder organisations.