Boite organisée de Secours Sanitaire et d’Etudes (BOSSE) was founded in South Kivu, DR Congo, in 1993. BOSSE saw a lack of attention from the Congolese state on newly repatriated Congolese and the need for a local humanitarian organisation to address their needs and concerns.
BOSSE was initially focused on health and established a health clinic. But, driven by the needs on the ground, the organisation has since expanded their activities to include education, development and peacebuilding.
- Work for peace in local communities;
- Initiate and build clinics and pharmacies in rural areas;
- Develop strategies to fight against endemic diseases and other health problems in rural areas;
- Disseminate methods of protection against tropical diseases and HIV/AIDS;
- Initiate and build schools and literacy centres; and
- Initiate economic development programs.