Human Rights and Environmental Education Centre (HUREC) is a local Nepalese NGO working on peace promotion, environmental preservation, human rights and poverty alleviation. It was established in May 1993 and it operates mainly in the Kavre district.
The main objectives of the organisation are:
- To conduct human rights and peace promotion programs in coordination with local bodies (such as the District Development Committee and the Village Development Committee)
- To conduct peace, human rights and democracy campaigns involving young people
- To involve communities in constructive social transformation activities. Community members are invited to participate and contribute in the planning process together with the municipality and the Village Develop Committee.
Since its establishment, HUREC has been involved in social mobilization activities for peace promotion and human rights advocacy. It has focused on people's participation, community empowerment, consensus decision-making process and transparency. The major projects and programs implemented by HUREC are:
- Peacebuilding, reconciliation and sustainable community development
- Community-based monitoring of local government/public goods and services
- Capacity building program for conflict-affected young women.
- Local governance accountability facility and citizen-led monitoring of the peace process
- Human rights defender training
- Campaign against child labor
- Civil movement for peace, human rights and democracy
- HUREC has being successful in empowering young people as human rights defenders and to actively involve them in protection of human rights at the district level.
- It has actively participated in peace promotion programs both at the national level and at the district level.
- It has played a key role as a mediator/facilitator in monitoring the peace process.