Kalinaw Mindanao Movement, Inc. (KMMI) is a children's, youth and citizen's advocacy organisation for peacebuilding concentrated mainly on interfaith dialogue and a culture of peace. Kalinaw is a Cebuano word which means peace.
KMMI's approach is to use informal education to promote a culture of peace, nonviolent attitudes and behaviour, intercultural learning, dialogue, respect for democracy and human rights. Kalinaw Mindanao participates in seminar workshops, and also in local community projects through exchange programmes on leadership training, peace, war awareness, and a family orientation programme. KMMI is committed to help using its abilities, knowledge, understanding, wisdom, strength, initiatives, creativity, artistry, leadership and potential to provide public service to the people who need assistance and support. It works primarily to provide support which is moral, spiritual and social so that KKMI's members will be more united.
KMMI recognises argues that the reasons for conflict in Mindanao include poverty, unfair treatment, racial discrimination, corruption and insufficient funds for the development of the region.
- To strengthen the connection between Filipinos in Mindanao despite differences of culture, traditions and beliefs.
- To educate every member about the fundamental concept of peace.
- To be active in participation to any humanitarian and peacekeeping force.
- To assist all member through BAYANIHAN (mutual assistance) and volunteerism practice.
- To pursue a peaceful and orderly society in order to attain a better life for children and for the upcoming generations.
Programmes and activities
- Leadership training and workshops.
- Peace and war awareness programme.
- Family orientation.
- Health programme for safe, portable water.
- Global warming / climate change awareness education programme.
- HIV/AIDS awareness programme.
- Drugs awareness programme.
- Tree planting programme.
- Job fairs.
- Livelihoods programme.
- Bridge financing programme.