Union-Association “Agora” was established in 2004 as non-governmental, non-profit organizations.
Main areas of its activity are:
- Supporting peace building process in regions of conflict in Georgia;
- Supporting the solution of social, economic and employment problems of IDPs;
- Implementing projects in certain fields of agriculture (beekeeping, greenhouse business, producing vegetables and berry crops) and environment protection, including conflict regions and etc.;
- Participation in the implementation of Georgian-Abkhaz and Georgian-Ossetian bilateral projects (purchasing and joint exploitation of agricultural and chemicals equipment, for fighting against the so called “American white butterfly";
- Participation in different regional projects (thematic meetings with beekeepers, wine and tea producers and tour operators);
- Participation in the development of regional brands like “Caucasus honey”, “Caucasus tea”, “Caucasus cheese” in the framework of cooperation with specialists of the region and other non-governmental organizations (presentations, exhibitions and festivals of these products organized with the participation of Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, as well as Abkhaz participants);
- Carrying out regional survey – “Mapping the Beekeeping sector in South Caucasus and Turkey (Kars)”- with the beekeeping unions from Turkey, Azerbaijan, Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Armenia (http://caucasusbusiness.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Beekeeping-sector-SC-and-Turkey.pdf).
In 2017, Union-Association “Agora implemented the project - “Enhancing Confidence Building Activities through the Coordinated Actions for Saving the Colchian Box-wood”, which envisaged cooperation between the public sectors and experts of Georgia proper and Abkhazia to save the Colchian Box-wood.
In 2015-2016, a greenhouse farm was arranged in the village Rukhi, Zugdidi municipality, situated close to Abkhazia, with the financial support of Grant Assistance for GRASSROOT Human Security and Cultural Projects of the Government of Japan. This project contributed to the employment of IDPs.
In 2015, organization has started the implementation of the project – “Establishment of Regional Center for the Development of Beekeeping” – in the framework of cooperation with Czech Republic Development Cooperation. The Center will serve beekeepers from South Caucasus region, including conflict zones.
The number of direct project beneficiaries is 5,000.